April 21, 2020
As the construction industry is getting ready to operate under COVID-19 Alert Level 3, the team at Origin Fire are committed to ongoing co-operation with our clients & contractors to enable site inspections.
Origin Fire staff will continue to work remotely under Alert Level 3. However, staff required for site inspections will be available to conduct the inspections.
Outlined below are the basic guidelines that the team will be following. We request that our clients assist us to ensure the wellbeing of everyone involved in the site inspections.
- Request the contractor’s specific Alert Level 3 site specific safety plan. If the plan has more onerous conditions than those listed below, then comply with the more onerous conditions.
- The client/contractor is required to give 2 days’ notice for a site inspection, to enable the Origin Fire staff member to assemble the required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for the inspection.
The PPE will consist of the following:
a. Steel capped footwear
b. High visibility vest
c. Hard hat
e. Eye protection
g. Ear protection when deemed necessary
- Where possible, the client/contractor is requested to conduct a virtual Health & Safety Induction for the staff member. If not, conduct the H&S Induction on site in a well-ventilated area (preferably outdoors).
- Before commencing the site visit, staff member will declare that they are healthy and safe to be on site.
- Staff member will sign in when entering the site.
- Site meetings will preferably be conducted remotely. If they need to be conducted on site, then they are not to occur in a small room or site shed. Preferably they are to be held outside where 2m social distancing can be maintained.
- Purpose of site inspection to be clearly outlined to efficiently utilize time on site:
- Location of work to be inspected etc detailed thoroughly.
- Unnecessary walking around of the site to be avoided.
- People involved in the inspection are to physical distancing measures (2m separation).
- Exchange of paperwork & handling on site equipment/tools (e.g. Tape measure) is discouraged.
- Staff member will sign out from the site.
- Staff member will check in through the NZOHS mobile app to record the site visit.
- Staff will ensure that they follow necessary hygiene measures when they return home including:
- Wiping down your car’s steering wheel & common touch points with steriliser
- Wash gloves in detergent
- Wash high vis vest in detergent
- Wipe down all equipment with steriliser
- Wash hands with soap and water
- Staff will communicate any changes in their physical health to the respective contractor/site representative through proper channel as outlined by Ministry of Health COVID-19 policy.
These are basic guidelines to ensure the safety of everyone involved and we will expect that COVID-19 Alert Level 3 protocols by the government are followed on site to ensure the safety of our staff, clients, contractors and community.
Written by Vincent Selvakumar, Passive Fire Engineer