September 21, 2021
The team at Origin Fire are committed to ongoing co-operation with our clients & contractors to enable site inspections under COVID-19 Alert Level 3.
Origin Fire staff will work remotely under Alert Level 3. However, staff required for site inspections will be available to conduct the inspections.
Outlined below are the basic guidelines that the team will be following. We request that our clients assist us to ensure the wellbeing of everyone involved in the site inspections.
- Request the contractor’s specific Alert Level 3 site specific safety plan. If the plan has more onerous conditions than those listed below, then comply with the more onerous conditions.
- Check whether the site is a high-risk site and has a mandatory vaccination policy. Examples are MIQ facilities, aged care facilities and hospitals.
- The client/contractor is required to give 2 days’ notice for site inspection to enable the Origin Fire staff member to assemble the required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for the inspection.
- The PPE will consist of the following:
- Steel capped footwear
- High visibility vest
- Hard hat
- Eye protection
- Ear protection when deemed necessary
- Where possible, the client/contractor is requested to conduct a virtual Health & Safety Induction for the staff member. If not, conduct the H&S Induction on site in a well-ventilated area (preferably outdoors).
- Before commencing the site visit, staff member will declare that they are healthy and safe to be on site.
- Staff member will check in through the NZOHS mobile app and Government COVID-19 QR code tracing app to record the site visit.
- Staff member will sign in using the client/contractor’s visitor management system when entering the site.
- Site meetings will preferably be conducted remotely. If they need to be conducted on site, then they are not to occur in a small room or site shed. Preferably they are to be held outside where 2m social distancing must be maintained.
- Purpose of site inspection to be clearly outlined to efficiently utilize time on site:
- Location of work to be inspected is detailed thoroughly.
- Unnecessary walking around of the site to be avoided.
- People involved in the inspection are to maintain physical distancing measures (at least 1m separation on site and 2m separation in public places).
- Exchange of paperwork & handling on site equipment/tools (e.g., Tape measure, stationeries etc.) is not recommended.
- Follow site entry procedures on return if the staff member needs to leave site for any reason during the day.
- Physical distancing rules apply to the use of shared facilities, including toilets. Wash hands before and after using shared facilities.
- Staff member will sign out from the site at the end of the day.
- While taking breaks on site, staff member will sign out and sign back in.
- Staff will ensure that they follow necessary hygiene measures when they return home including:
- Wiping down car’s steering wheel & common touch points with steriliser
- Wash gloves in detergent
- Wash high vis vest in detergent
- Wipe down all equipment with steriliser
- Wash hands with soap and water
- Staff will communicate any changes in their physical health to the respective contractor/site representative through the Health & Safety team.
This is Origin Fire Consultants Health and Safety policy for Alert Level 3 to ensure the safety of everyone involved & we expect that COVID-19 Alert Level 3 protocols by the government are followed.
Further information and instruction for Alert Level 3 protocols to be followed on construction sites can be found at https://www.chasnz.org/covid-19-resources
Written by Vincent Selvakumar, Passive Fire Engineer